Well, my final project for school is done. And only one week ahead of schedule! Hey Greg, I bet you wished I turned in my stories that early. In typical over achiever mode, I made not one, but two brooches for the project. The assignment was to create a brooch that paid attention to the front and back, had a clasp that worked perfectly and was aesthetically pleasing. I do think I achieved all that. The reason I have two pieces is not that I’m an over achiever (which I am) but that I had some silver I attempted to fold form that cracked and split due to overheating. Since I didn’t want to waste a big chunk of silver, I managed to be inspired by the cracks and turn it into something beautiful. I’ll let all of you be the judges.
First, the granulated brooch. This is created with my new style of granulation on fine silver. The piece is about 1 1/2″ tall.
Here’s a view of the back. I also granulated the back of the overlapped pieces and the catch.
Here’s a view of the side. You can see the different layers of the piece. I love this!
Here’s the fold formed piece. I was working on a cuff bracelet design when I cracked the silver. I put the top piece in the hydraulic press to form the dome and bring out the folds. I deliberately opened more cracks to enhance the effect. You can see straight through to the other side near the bottom corner!
Here’s the back.