Yesterday I learned [sand casting](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_casting) which I was happy to learn since the cuttlefish and I weren’t getting along. Since I was studio monitor today, I decided I’d jump right in to sand casting.
I took a vintage glass bead and cast it and the results are below. The original bead is on the left. You can see that the wings didn’t fully form. That’s due to the placement of the piece. I should have put the wings below so the silver could flow better. Still, he looks pretty cute!
I also did a huge piece, but it didn’t form fully for the same reason as the bat. However, it’s cool so it might appear here in the future. Btw, the sand contains glycerine and smells like burning crayons when it’s being cast. So far I haven’t found a casting method yet that doesn’t stink.