Today is, unofficially, our 14th anniversary. I say “unofficially” because we married on February 29th so we only get a real anniversary every four years. I can’t imagine my life without Steve. He’s allowed me to really be myself and I think, as a couple, we are a great match. I know I’m a better person with him than without him. In honor of our special day, I thought I’d list 14 reasons why being with Steve is so awesome.
1. He lets me be myself. That may sound cliche or silly, but it’s true. I’m more “me” when I’m with him than I am with anyone else.
2. He loves me through thick and thin, literally. When we married I weighed 40 pounds more than I do now. He loved me then and he loves me now. I know I don’t have to keep up appearances with him.
3. We communicate. Even though discussions are sometimes uncomfortable, Steve always makes sure we talk things out when we have issues.
4. He supports me as an artist. When I decided to quit my full-time, career job at PBS 10 years ago, Steve was my biggest cheerleader. It meant he was the sole breadwinner but he knew I was unhappy with my job and he supported me.
5. He’s willing to go shopping with me. Silly? Maybe, but he knows I love shopping and he’s one of my favorite people to go shopping with.
6. He likes cats. I grew up in a house full of pets and I’m glad Steve likes them too.
7. He’s funny. A sense of humor goes a long way in a relationship. Sometimes when we’ve been picking at each other over nothing, Steve will just start laughing which makes me laugh too.
8. He’s cute. Ok, looks aren’t everything, but it doesn’t hurt that I still find him attractive. If I were single, I’m sure I’d have a huge crush on him.
9. He’s smart. I can’t figure out how his brain works when it comes to technology and computers. The guy is amazing.
10. He’s honest. When I’m being a bitch or being unreasonable about something, Steve has a way of calling me out on it without making me feel like a loser. He can say things to me that I know I need to hear, but often don’t want to, without hurting my feelings.
11. We balance each other well. When we were trying to buy our house, trying to sell the old one and trying to get Steve a job, it seemed like neither of us had a freak out at the same time. On the days when I was about at my wit’s end, Steve managed to talk me through it and vice versa.
12. He is a great friend. I know it may sound cliche, but Steve really is my best friend. He’s the first person I want to share news with and the first person I turn to when things are getting me down. I wouldn’t trade my girlfriends for the world, but I’m glad Steve is my #1 friend when the chips are down.
13. He takes care of the little things. Bringing in the paper every morning may not sound like anything important, but I love the fact it’s always waiting for me when I get home from the gym.
14. He love me unconditionally. I’m glad I can truly be myself when I’m with him.
Steve, I love you more each year and I’m glad we took a chance on each other 14 years ago. Happy Anniversary!