Saturday I celebrated my 44th birthday. It’s funny because I don’t feel 44 and I’m told I don’t look 44, but my driver’s license (and my mom) tell me I am 44 years old. I have so much to be thankful for and thought I’d take a moment to reflect. No, this list isn’t original since Cindy created one for her 44th birthday and my mom recently did one in my honor, but I think we all need to remember the things that are important in our lives.
44 Reasons I’m Grateful To Be 44 (in no particular order):
1. Steve. Sometimes I have no idea how he lives with me, but I’m glad he does.
2. My dad. He has taught me so much about music and has always been a great listener.
3. My mom. I inherited her stunning good looks (especially the legs) and her wicked sense of humor.
4. My sister. I spent years being annoyed by her only to realize, one day, she was my best friend. She’s hilarious and has given birth to two of the cutest kids I know.
5. My stepmom and stepdad. I hate those terms, but I’m so glad they married my parents. My mom and dad created and raised two great kids, but are enjoying life with wonderful partners.
6. Julia and Lydia. They make me smile every time I see or talk to them.
7. Mary. We met when we were 9, became fast friends, parted ways as teenagers and reunited several years ago. She is my other half. She knows me better than I know myself and loves me unconditionally. 7.5. Mary’s family. I adore her children and her husband.
8. Valerie. When we met, 25 years ago, we instantly hated each other. She thought I was stuck up and I thought she was a wild child. All it took was one fraternity party to turn us into friends. She makes me laugh so hard and has excellent taste.
9. Cindy. My best friend from grade school. We met on the first day of 4th grade and managed to grow our friendship through the rough high school years. To this day, she still makes me laugh.
10. Sarah. She inspires me to be a better metalsmith, is always upfront with me and makes me laugh all the time.
11. Suzanne. Yet another example of initial dislike that turned into friendship. We’ve had our ups and downs, but she never fails to call me out when I need it and gives me honest feedback when shopping!
12. Red wine.
13. Dark chocolate. Especially the Lindt variety with the chili powder. When paired with red wine it’s delicious.
14. My first husband. Yeah, I know this one’s a shocker, but being married to him forced me to re-evaluate what I really wanted in my life. When Steve came along, I was ready for him and knew what I really wanted.
15. Sushi. Mmmm, sushi.
16. My house (is a very, very, very fine house). Steve and I feel so blessed to live here.
17. Pavel. My personal trainer is like a brother to me. He annoys me to no end, but cares about me and looks after my well-being. I look forward to seeing him every day.
18. My gym buddies – Dan, Kyle and John (when he’s there!). I know if I don’t show, they’ll give me a hard time for not being there.
19. My dining room table and chairs. Steve waited for 8 hours at an auction to bid on them and got them for a steal. I’m just glad we have a dining room large enough to have it open with all the leaves in place.
20. Cowboy boots.
21. The perfect stiletto heel.
22. Lemon cake.
24. and tonic
25. with extra limes
26. Key Lime pie
30. Fashion magazines
31. Chicago. It really is my kind of town.
32. White wine
33. Good beer
34. Music – especially my LP collection.
36. Jeans. The kind that make me look like I have a butt and make my legs look a mile long.
38. My grandparents. They were all so different but they taught me so much.
40. Home made bread
41. Electric pencil sharpeners
42. Flip clocks
43. Aluminum Christmas trees
44. Celebrating birthdays. Hey, it’s better than the alternative!
I’m sure I could go on and on because I feel truly blessed in my life and I think that’s the best thing of all.